Lakshadweep Holidays From Kolkata
Posted on By Blog Admin
The name “Lakshadweep” means one lakh islands. The smallest union territory of India “Lakshadweep” is a group of beautiful islands, located some 400 km off India’s west coast into the Arabian Sea. Lakshadweep has few of the most beautiful and exotic islands and beaches of India. An inviting holiday destination for nature lovers, Lakshadweep is known for its lush green landscape, incredible marine life, soft silvery beaches and water sports. Lakshadweep is also known for the mosques like Ujra Mosque, Rahmaniya Juma Masjid and Ahmadiyya Masjid etc.
1. Best time to visit
2. Islands to visit in Lakshadweep
3. A sample itinerary of Lakshadweep
4. Accommodation in Lakshadweep
5. Must try dishes of Lakshadweep
6. Tips when travelling to Lakshadweep
7. Checklist to travel to Lakshadweep
8. FAQs for your Lakshadweep travel
Why must you visit Lakshadweep?
The charm of Lakshadweep islands lies in its remoteness. Visit this place for exotic islands, beautiful beaches and serene and peaceful ambience. The islands, though all equally mystical and beautiful, each offers a unique blend of tourist spots. You can enjoy diving and water sports on some islands, while in others you can enjoy the charm of relaxation.
How to reach Lakshadweep from Kolkata?
There are no direct flights from Kolkata to Lakshadweep. So, you can take a flight to Cochin, the nearest airport. Then you can then take a ship or flight to Lakshadweep from Cochin.
Do Indians need permission to visit Lakshadweep?
Yes, a permit is required for Indians to visit Lakshadweep. The process of getting the permit is basically processed by the tour operators.
Best time to visit
The ideal time to visit would be between the months of September and May when the weather is pleasant and conductive for water sports.
Islands to visit in Lakshadweep
The popular islands that are ideal to visit during your Lakshadweep tour are:
1. Kavaratti Island
Kavaratti Island is one of the most beautiful gems from the Lakshadweep group of islands. It is the most developed island and one of the prime destinations for tourists. The island is home to the amazing white coral sand beaches, lagoons and immense greenery. It is best known for its beautiful sceneries, mosques and enthralling water sports.
How to reach?
You can either take a flight to its nearest airport, Agatti airport or a passenger’s ship from Cochin.
Things to do in Kavaratti Island:
- Scuba diving, Jet Ski, Kayaking, Motorboat ride- for all the adventure enthusiasts.
- Marine Aquarium and Museum- it’s a wonderful aquarium displaying the never-ending variety of corals and fishes.
- Ujra Mosque- it is one of the important pilgrimage destinations for Muslims and a magnificent shrine.
2. Bangaram Island
A tiny island, where the pristine beaches and vibrant coral reefs are a treat for travellers. Walk around the entire island, swim with the colourful fishes, check out the dolphins, notice the turtles move leisurely and observe the bright colours of the coral reefs around. The sunrises and sunsets are a treat to the eyes by the sparkling beach, and a range of activities to indulge in makes the stay worthwhile, but even if you choose only to laze around, the serene beach of Bangaram Island should be on your bucket list.
How to reach?
You can avail a 40 min short fun ferry ride from Agatti to reach the mesmerizing Bangaram beach.
Things to do in Bangaram Island
- Sunset- Spend your evening watching the most spectacular sunsets on the beach.
- Canoeing, kayaking, water skiing, windsurfing- Enjoy the water sports on the beach.
- Diving and snorkelling- for the ones who want to explore the ocean bed and its flora and fauna.
- Seafood- Have a wonderful dinner at the beach under the starlit sky.
3. Minicoy Island
The second-largest island of Lakshadweep is a romantic getaway to spend some quality time with your beloved amidst the clean beaches and the beautiful ocean. It’s exclusively known for its vibrant coral reefs, quaint white sand beaches, the freshwater of the infinite ocean and the luxury beach resorts.
How to reach?
You can either take a ferry from Agatti. Helicopter services are also available from Agatti to Minicoy Island.
Things to do in Minicoy Island
- Kayaking, snorkelling, scuba diving- enjoy the adventure sports on the beach.
- Fishing- tourist enjoys activities like tuna canning and tuna fishing.
- Juma Masjid- an old mosque built in the medieval era.
4. Kalpeni Island
Kalpeni Islands are a group of three islands and are one of the most picturesque areas of Lakshadweep. Cheriyam, Pitti and Tillakkam are the islands which together forms the Kalpeni Island. This place is among the must-see places of Lakshadweep and is frequently visited by tourists. It is famous for its beautiful lagoon surrounding the island and is highly rich in coral life.
You can either take a flight from Agatti airport or you can take a helicopter to the island.
Things to do in Kalpeni Island
- Water sports- adventure lovers can enjoy scuba diving, snorkelling, canoeing, kayaking and sailing yachts.
- Folk dances- folk dances of Kolkali and Parichakkali are major top attractions.
5. Amindivi Island
Amindivi is a group of islands lying in the North Lakshadweep and it’s famous for its choir products. It is an ideal place for those seeking to experience the local culture and markets of Lakshadweep.
How to reach?
You can take a flight from Agatti to reach Amindivi Island.
Things to do in Amindivi Island:
- Islands- Kiltan Island, Chetlat Island and Bitra Island are major attractions.
- Kadmat Island- offers a bountiful of water sports options like scuba diving, swimming and more.
- Stay at the luxurious resorts- offers spas, events, dinner parties and private beach experiences to their guests.
- Seafood- splurge on a spread of fresh seafood.
6. Kadmat Island
It’s a gorgeous island which is a part of Amindivi subgroup of islands. Boasting of silvery white beaches, sun kissed shores, wonderful blue lagoons, azure blue waters and vibrant coral reefs, Kadmat Island is a travellers delight.
How to reach?
You can take a flight from Agatti. From the airport, there are regular ferry services, speedboats and catamaran services available to reach Kadmat Island.
Things to do in Kadmat Island
- Adventure sports- adventure lovers can enjoy scuba diving, kayaking, snorkelling and paragliding on the beach.
- Soak the sun and admire the resplendent surroundings.
- You can avail amazing spa and massage services.
- Deep sea fishing- home to shark, bonefish, stonefish etc. you can either fish at the shores or hire a boat to go fishing mid sea.
7. Agatti Island
Considered as a jewel, it is majorly known for its blissful beauty of coral reefs and the scenic beauty of the island is mesmerizing too. Tourists travel to bask in the sun and white sand with crystal clear water under clear blue skies. It’s a sheer paradise for beach lovers and offbeat travellers.
How to reach?
You can take a direct flight to Agatti airport.
Things to do in Agatti Island
- You can opt for sunbath lying in the clear white sand under the skies.
- Take a long stroll clad with long coconut trees in the fresh atmosphere of the island.
- Water sports- adventure enthusiasts can indulge in snorkelling, scuba diving, swimming, kayaking and water skiing.
- Deep sea fishing- enjoy deep sea fishing at Agatti Island.
A sample itinerary of Lakshadweep
Here’s a sample Lakshadweep tour itinerary for your reference:
Day 1: Arrival at Agatti airport. Lunch. Take an Agatti boat jetty to Kadmat Island. Check in to the resort. Overnight stay in Kadmat beach resort.
Day 2: Breakfast. Full day scuba diving or snorkelling. Spend your evening watching the sunset and waiting for the night sky. Overnight stay in Kadmat beach resort.
Day 3: Breakfast. Sightseeing tour of the island. After lunch, go fishing on the beach. Dinner and overnight stay in Kadmat beach resort.
Day 4: Transfer by HSC Catamaran to Bangaram Island. Check in to the tent house at Bangaram Island. Overnight stay in Bangaram tent house.
Day 5: Morning starts with diving excursions to Dolphin point. Have lunch and continue with water sports. Dinner and overnight stay at the tent house.
Day 6: Transfer by ferry to Tinnakkara Island. Check in to Tinnakkara tent house. Dinner and overnight stay at the tent house.
Day 7: Morning starts with water sports. Evening tea and snack at the island. Dinner and overnight in the tent house.
Day 8: Check out and transfer to Agatti airport by ferry to fly back home.
Accommodation at Lakshadweep
Here are some suggestions for hotels to stay during your Lakshadweep trip:
1. Agatti Island
Agatti Island Beach Resort- starting from INR 8,000 per night.
2. Bangaram Island
Tent house- starting from INR 6,000 per night.
3. Kadmat Island
Kadmat Beach Resort- starting from INR 3,000 per night.
4. Kalpeni Island
Coral Beach Resort- starting from INR 6,000 per night.
5. Minicoy Island
Minicoy Resort- starting from INR 8,000 per night.
What is the food like in Lakshadweep?
Lakshadweep’s cuisine is influenced by Kerala’s cuisine. Coconut preparations and seafood pretty much defines the island’s menu. Seafood like a variety of fried and barbequed fish available here are mostly staple. The restaurants in Lakshadweep also offer international cuisines like Chinese, Indian, Thai and Korean dishes.
Tips when travelling to Lakshadweep
- Currency- Debit cards are accepted but it is preferable to carry currency with you.
- Transport- Lakshadweep Islands can be reached by ships and flights operated from Kochi.
- Safety- Lakshadweep is absolutely a safe place to travel.
- Etiquettes- Revealing or tight wears are to be avoided at certain places. Try out their local customs.
- Mobile network and sim card- The major mobile service providers are Jio, Airtel and Vodafone.
- Power plugs- You need power plugs and sockets of C and D type.
Checklist to travel to Lakshadweep
- Travel Documents- Tickets, medical documents and relevant id cards.
- Money- Debit cards, currency.
- Clothes- Beach wears comfortable flip flops, sunglasses, hats.
- Electronics- Mobile phone, camera and travel adapter.
- Health and Hygiene- Medications that you are on, basic medical kit, women hygiene items, toiletries, insect spray.
FAQs for your Lakshadweep travel
1. Is Lakshadweep worth visiting?
The island is beautiful and worth visiting. People are simple and courteous.
2. Do you need a passport to go to Lakshadweep?
In the case of foreign nationals, passport and visa details are also required to be given to the resort staying in. Indians are permitted to travel to Agatti, Bangaram, Kadmat, Kavaratti, Kalpeni and Minicoy. However, foreigners are only allowed to visit Agatti, Bangaram, and Kadmat.
3. Why is Lakshadweep restricted?
The major reasons why the government has posed such restrictions was the island carries capacity, limited resources on the island including drinking water and also to protect the interests of local people. Lakshadweep islands are tiny and are surrounded by ecologically delicate coral reefs.
4. How many hours does it take from Cochin to Lakshadweep?
It takes around 8 hours to travel to Lakshadweep from Cochin.
5. Is Lakshadweep a part of Kerala?
Kadmat is the Centermost Island in the Lakshadweep archipelago, a low-lying chain of islands, atolls and reefs off the coast of Kerala. Belonging to India, the Lakshadweep islands are part of the same vast marine mountain range as the Maldives.
6. What language is spoken in Lakshadweep?
Malayalam is spoken in Lakshadweep.
7. Is smoking allowed in Lakshadweep?
Smoking in public places is illegal but this is rarely enforced, if caught you may be fined ₹200, which could rise to ₹500.
8. Is alcohol allowed in Lakshadweep?
No, alcohol is not allowed in Lakshadweep except for Bangaram Island.
Lakshadweep- A perfect destination for Island lovers
Lakshadweep is one of nature’s greatest gifts to us. The enchanting and unspoilt beaches will simply blow your mind. You can either go for adventurous sports or sit on the beach and soak up the natural beauty. Scuba diving in Lakshadweep is the main attraction of the tourists. The local cuisine in Lakshadweep is divine. It is a perfect escape from your hectic schedules and chaos of the overcrowded cities.
Gear up for this amazing vacation to Lakshadweep, all that you need to do is get in touch with us at email@example.com or call us at +91 3340525777.
We help you get the best Lakshadweep tour packages from Kolkata and customize it according to your budget and preferences.