After a grand Indian wedding, a honeymoon gives newlyweds the perfect opportunity to get to know each other better.
Europe, as a destination, is often associated with love and pleasure. Think picture-perfect countrysides, tulips in full bloom, snow-clad mountains and quiet rainy afternoons with that perfect cup of coffee — it’s the place to be when you are in love. Quite naturally then, Europe is one of the top honeymoon destinations in the world. This diverse continent offers a rich culture, gorgeous natural settings and some of the most delectable cuisines.
For newlyweds, it can be difficult to decide on a honeymoon destination in Europe. There are places that she will like and there are those that he will prefer. To help you decide, here is our list, highly recommended by our professional travel specialists.
The charm of Venice appeals to all honeymooners. I am sure serenading your lady love on a gondola has been on your bucket list for long. The ancient floating city of Venice is, indeed, must visit in a lifetime.
What to do in Venice on your honeymoon
- Visit the St. Mark’s Basilica.
- Feed the pigeons and take photographs at the St. Mark’s Square.
- Take a romantic Gondola ride on the Canale Grande.
- Stop for a photoshoot at the Rialto Bridge.
- Delve into some history at the Doge’s Palace and the Galleria dell’ Accademia.
How to reach Venice
To reach Venice you can take a flight from any of the major Indian cities with one or two layovers in between. The flight duration could be approximately 11 hours.
Accommodation options in Venice
There are many accommodation options in Venice.
- The Gritti Palace, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Venice – 5star– INR 50,000/ night
- Baglioni Hotel Luna- 5 star – INR21,000/night
- Four Points by Sheraton Venice Mestre- 4star– INR7,000/night
Culinary delights of Venice
- Sarde in saor – Delectable dish that is sweet and sour in taste
- Baccala mantecato- A fish-based antipasti
- Risotto al Nero di Seppia- Seafood risotto
If you and your partner love history and cultural heritage sites then Rome is the best destination that you can plan to visit on your honeymoon. A paradise for the globetrotters, Rome is home to some of the most beautiful and exquisite historical landmarks.
What to do in Rome on your honeymoon
- Take a tour of the Colosseum which is one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
- Tour the Vatican and admire the Sistine Chapel.
- Visit the St. Peter’s Basilica which is the most important church in the world.
- Take lots of photos at the St. Peter’s square.
- Throw a coin at the Trevi fountain.
- Spend some time seeing the city and walk past you at the Spanish steps.
How to reach Rome
There are direct flights from India to the Leonardo da Vinci–Fiumicino Airport. Rome. The flight takes approximately 8 hours.
Accommodation options in Rome
- The St. Regis Rome – 5 star- INR35,000/night
- Starhotels Michelangelo -4 star – INR9,000/night
- Hotel Milo Rome -3 star – INR4,000/night
Cuisines to try in Rome
- Alesso di Bollito – A simmered dish made from beef.
- Cacio e Pepe – This pasta is an iconic dish of Rome
- Gelato – Ice cream scoop in natural flavours
Paris is called the “City of Love” and this is because of many reasons. Paris is home to some of the most romantic sights in the world. Situated on the Seine River the city has one of the best settings in the world. There are many famous landmarks for honeymooners to explore and many culinary delights to try out.
What to do in Paris on your honeymoon
- Take lots and lots of photos at the Eiffel Tower.
- Enjoy the largest art museums in the world when you visit The Louvre.
- Walk on the touristy Champs-Elysees and shop to your heart’s content.
- See the grandest and the oldest cathedral Notre Dame Cathedral.
- Spend your evening at the Moulin Rouge which is the most famous cabaret in the whole world.
- Shop for artwork and books at Bouquinistes.
- Take the Seine River cruise.
How to reach Paris
There are direct flights from the major cities of India to Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport. The flight duration is roughly 8 hours.
Accommodation options in Paris
- InterContinental Paris – Le Grand – 5 star – INR /night30,000
- Hôtel San Régis – 5 star – INR 25,000/ night
- Hotel Novotel Paris Est – 4 star – INR 7,000/ night
- Crowne Plaza Paris – Republique- 4 star – INR 10,000/ night
Culinary delights of Paris
- French onion soup – Soup made with onion and meat stock
- Coq au vin- Chicken braised with lardons, mushrooms, wine and sometimes garlic
- Cassoulet is a slow-cooked casserole meat
- Chocolate soufflé is a dish made with egg yolks and beaten egg whites
- Flamiche is a pastry tart that is puffed and made with cream and leeks
- Nicoise salad made of tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, Niçoise olives and anchovies, dressed with olive oil.
Snow-capped mountains, Alpine meadows and turquoise lakes make Switzerland one of the top honeymoon destinations in Europe. There are many activities and natural sightseeing attractions in Switzerland for couples to enjoy.
What to do in Switzerland on your honeymoon
- Go on a train ride to the highest station in Europe – Jungfraujoch.
- Hike in the Alps Mountain.
- Go to Vaud for a wine tasting tour.
- Visit the pointed peak as well as the highest mountain in the Alps – The Matterhorn.
- Visit Interlaken and the summer holiday resorts.
- Lucerne lets you experience a sparkling blue lake that is surrounded by mountains. You can enjoy yourself in a car-free old town that leaves you spellbound with its historic buildings and quaint streets.
- Visit the largest alpine lake – Lake Geneva.
- St Mortiz is a must-visit on your Switzerland list.
- Take a tour to the largest fall in Central Europe – The Rhine Falls.
- Do not miss taking a tour of the popular shooting destinations when in Switzerland.
How to reach Switzerland
There are no direct flights from India to Switzerland. The flight timing is approximately 10-14 hours with a layover in Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Istanbul, Helsinki, Muscat or Doha.
Accommodation options in Switzerland
- Badrutt’s Palace Hotel – 5 star – INR 70,000/ night
- Hotel MONOPOL Luzern – 4 star- INR 10,000/ night
- Hotel ibis Styles Luzern City – 3 star – INR 6,000/ night
Culinary delights of Switzerland
- Cheese fondue – Melted cheese that is served with bread cubes.
- Raclette – Melted cheese served with Gschwellti or jacket potatoes, onion and cocktail gherkins along with pickled fruit.
- Swiss chocolate – A must-try delicacy when in Switzerland.
- Birchermüesli – Made of oat flakes, condensed milk, lemon juice, hazelnuts, almonds, and apples.
Santorini is a beautiful island in Greece and this island is in the Cyclades group of Greek islands. The picture-perfect destination for your honeymoon, Santorini charms you with its blue and white buildings. The island is located in the middle of the Aegean Sea and there are many reasons to visit this destination on your honeymoon.
What to do in Santorini on your honeymoon
- Take a seat and watch the most beautiful sunset on Earth at Oia.
- Take a swim in the volcanic beaches.
- Hike all the way from Fira to Oia.
- Taste the wine at the Santorini winery
- Visit the Akrotiri Lighthouse and see the ruins at Akrotiri.
- Take a walk in the quaint village of Pyrgos.
- Sleep in a luxurious windmill.
How to reach Santorini
There are flights that operate from the major airports in India to Athens. From Athens, you can either book a cruise to reach the Santorini port which takes 8 hours. Else you can take a flight from Athens to Santorini. The flight takes approximately 45 minutes.
Accommodation options in Santorini
- Suits of the Gods Cave spa – 5 star – INR 9000/ night
- Irigeneia hotel – 4 star – INR 4000 /night
Culinary delights of Santorini
- Fava me Koukia – A dish made of mashed up fava beans
- Tomato Keftedes – Tomato fritters
- Saganaki- These are fried cheeses that are filed in filo pastry and is covered with honey
- Keftes/Kofta which is ground meat and like a sausage
- Greek Salad
Visit two continents at the same time on your honeymoon to Istanbul. Istanbul in Turkey is the perfect blend of the ancient and modern civilisations and you will love its history, beautiful architecture and lip-smacking food.
What to do in Istanbul on your honeymoon
- Visit Hagia Sophia which is one of the world’s most beautiful architectural icons.
- Topkapi Palace was the main residence and administrative headquarters of the Ottoman sultans
- Take a cruise on the Bosphorus River and get a complete view of the city.
- Basilica cistern should be visited to see the fascinating history of Istanbul under the ground.
- Shop for spices and carpets at the Grand Bazaar.
- Dolmabahçe Palace which was the main administrative centre of the Ottoman empire
- The historic Blue Mosque of Istanbul
- Visit the Galata Tower to get a 360-degree panoramic view of Istanbul.
- Try a traditional hammam.
- Shop and visit some upmarket restaurants at Taksim square.
How to reach Istanbul
Istanbul is well connected with the major cities in India. The flight time is approximately 8 hours for a non-stop flight and you land at Ataturk airport.
Accommodation options in Istanbul
- Swissôtel The Bosphorus Istanbul – 5 star- INR 11,000/night
- Orient Express Hotel – 4 star – INR 3189/night
Culinary delights of Istanbul
- Döner- This is a Turkish classic dish and it comes warped in a lavash bread or on a pide bread that is served with butter, tomato sauce and yoghurt
- İçli Köfte – meatball is a delicious Turkish treat and it has a delicate and crispy shell. It is made of minced meat
- Lahmacun- This crispy and thin round of dough has a minced meat topping. It is wrongly referred to as Turkish pizza
- Meze – Try out the exotic spread of mezes like muhammara, fava, and köpoğlu
- Baklava – The perfect Turkish dessert which is a must-try when in Istanbul
Cappadocia is a romantic destination in Turkey where you get to stay in cave hotels and go hot air ballooning. Enjoy the fairy chimneys and the rock suites which is what makes Cappadocia a popular tourist destination.
What to do in Cappadocia on your honeymoon
- Visit the underground cities of Cappadocia. What will stun you to know is that there are not just one or two but 36 of them.
- Spend time at the Goreme Open Air Museum that has more than 30 chapels and churches that have been carved with rocks.
- Pasabag Monks Valley is a must-visit to see the fairy chimneys.
- Devrent Valley is a place that should be a part of your itinerary when in Cappadocia. Look at the rock formations and see if it resembles an animal.
- Stay for at least a day in the cave hotels.
- Go horse riding and explore the unique landscapes of Cappadocia.
- Set aside a night to soak in the Turkish culture.
- Take an early morning ride on a hot air balloon.
How to reach Cappadocia
There are direct flights that connect Istanbul with the popular cities in India. From Istanbul, you need to take a flight to Cappadocia. It takes roughly 1 hour and 20 minutes to reach Cappadocia from Istanbul.
Accommodation options in Cappadocia
- Cappadocia Cave Resort – 5 star – INR 16,000/night
- Fresco Cave Suites & Mansions – 4 star – INR 6,000/night
- The Cappadocia Hotel – 3 star- INR 3,000/ night
Culinary delights of Cappadocia
- Menemen – A yummy delicacy of onions, tomatoes, pepper, and scrambled eggs
- Pekmez – A delicious and sweet grape molasses
- Karasık Pide – A delicacy of ground beef and vegetables
- Lahmacun – A crusty dish of mixed vegetables
- Yaprak Sarma is made of stuffed grape leaves
FAQs when visiting Europe on your honeymoon.
a. List the seasons in Europe.
- Spring is from March to May
- Summer is from June to August
- Autumn is from September to November
- Winter is from December to February
Each season in Europe has something different to offer. Enjoy the greenery in the spring seasons, laze on a beach in the summer season, see the red and orange shades of leaves in the Autumn season, or enjoy the snow in the winter season.
b. What kind of food will I get in Europe?
You get all kinds of food in Europe – from meat-based to vegetarian and even vegan.
c. What should I shop from Europe to bring back home?
If you are a fashion lover then Europe is a paradise for you. From clothes to accessories, you will be spoiled with choices. High street to top fashion brand, Europe has a great selection for every fashion buyer.
Get in touch
Choose from our Europe honeymoon packages and gift your partner a memorable romantic getaway to one of these exotic locations in Europe. There is something truly magical about Europe that attracts so many honeymooners to it every year.
To experience a magical honeymoon get in touch with Flying Squirrel Holidays, one of the best travel companies that specialize in designing custom made holiday packages. email@example.com