Your Complete Travel Guide To Georgia
Georgia is a popular travel destination for Indians. The country offers a striking contrast between Asian and European culture. Georgia is bordered by the Black Sea on the west and is tucked between Russia and Turkey. And this is what sets it apart from the other European countries. Here you get to experience a different vibe altogether. With spectacular landscapes, old towns flowing to the borders of cities, and its amazing culture and cuisine, Georgia surely makes tourists gape in awe. Welcome to this hot destination among Indian tourists and discover what Georgia has to offer to you when you book the Georgia tour package from India.
1. Visa processing and flight connectivity
2. Accommodation options in Georgia
3. The must see attractions
4. Things to do in Georgia
5. Must try delicacies in Georgia
6. Brief itinerary to Georgia
7. Festivals celebrated in Georgia
8. National holidays in Georgia
9. Traveller’s checklist when travelling to Georgia
10. Indian embassy Address
11. Tips when travelling to Georgia
12. Frequently Asked Questions
Best time to plan your holiday to Georgia
Georgia is a small country but it experiences a diverse climate. So it is important that you time your travel to Georgia properly. You should plan your Georgia tour package in the months of May, June and September when the climate is neither too hot nor too cold.
Here are the seasons in Georgia:
- Winter- December to February
- Spring – March to May
- Summer – June to August
- Autumn – September to November
Visa processing for Indians in Georgia
To travel to Georgia you need to get a short term visa. Indian passport holders can get Georgia e-visa.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Georgia/Embassy of Georgia in India is the authorised person who will be granting you the visa. The visa will be issued to you for a maximum of 30 days. It takes around 10 working days for the visa to be processed and the fee is INR 1488.
Flight connectivity to Georgia from India
You can get flights to Georgia from the major cities in India. You can get flights to Georgia from New Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai, Kerala, and Hyderabad.
From Kerala, you get flights to Georgia from Thiruvanthapuram, Kozikhode, and Kochi.
Flights from India to Georgia take roughly about 9 hours.
There are multiple airlines that operate flights from Dubai to Georgia so book the Georgia package from Dubai. There are flights as short as 3 hours to flights that take 16 hours to reach Georgia from Dubai.
Accommodation options in Georgia
Georgia offers varied accommodation options for all kinds of travellers. Whether you are a luxury or a budget traveller, you are sure to get something that you like.
Radisson Blu Iveria hotel – INR12000/night (5 star)
Hotel Inn Tbilisi – INR 7000/night( 4 star)
Tbilisi city heart hotel – INR 4000/night (3 star)
Radisson Blu Hotel Batumi – INR 4300/ night (5 star)
There are options for staying in apartments too in Batumi. The price range is around INR 2000/ night.
The must see attractions
Here are a few things that should be a part of the Georgia tour package:
- The Holy Trinity Cathedral
- Abanotubani which is popular for the sulphur baths
- Bridge of peace
- Narikala fortress which is the most important fortress in the city
- Mtskheta is the oldest city of Georgia
- Jvari Monastery to see the spectacular view of the confluence of the two rivers Kura and Aragvi
- Svetitskhoveli cathedral
- Uplistsikhe is a place to be admired for its unique rock style combinations where you get to see the rock-cut culture
- Cable car ride to see the view over the Borjomi Gorge
- Sighnaghi which is the city of love where you can walk along the streets. See the colourful balconies and the view of the Alazani valley
- Gergely Trinity Church to see the Caucasia
Things to do in Georgia
Here are some experiences that should be a part of your Georgia tour.
- Stroll through the old town of Tbilisi and view the buildings, monuments and churches that are set against a hillside which makes them dramatic.
- Soak yourself in the thermal spring that is located in the middle of the Old Town of Tbilisi.
- Attend the traditional Georgian feast or the Supra.
- Taste the Georgian wine which is getting popular as the highest quality of wine in entire Europe.
Must try delicacies in Georgia
Georgia has been influenced by cuisines from the Romans, Greeks, Mongolians, Iranians, Arabs, Ottomans, Byzantines and the Russians. So trying the Georgian cuisine is a different culinary experience altogether. Here are a few dishes that should not be missed.
- Khachapuri – This is a pastry that is topped with butter, eggs and melted cheese.
- Kuchmachi – A traditional dish of Georgia made with chicken or pork heart, gizzards or liver that is mixed with pomegranate and walnut.
- Shkmeruli- Is a chicken roasted in garlic sauce is the most delectable dish in Georgia.
Brief itinerary to Georgia
Here is a sample itinerary of your trip to Georgia. Your package can be customized as per your requirements.
Day 1 – Arrival to Tbilisi. Visit the Metekhi church and the Narikala Fortress. Walk the sulfur Bath and visit the synagogue, the mosque and Bridge of Peace.
Day 2 – Drive to Mtskheta and see the Jvari Monastery. Then take a ride on the cable car to see the splendid Borjomi Gorge.
Day 3 – Drive to Batumi. Enroute visit the Prometheus Cave. Rest of the day enjoy the beautiful beaches of Batumi.
Day 4 – Batumi – Visit the Adjarian Wines House. Then enjoy the Yacht tour Dolphin’s Show.
Day 5 – Return to Tbilisi and drop to the airport.
Festivals celebrated in Georgia
Tbilisoba – The festival celebrates the culture and rich diversity of the country. You can enjoy traditional performances, music shows, fruit and cheese displays and fireworks during this festival. The festival usually falls in the first week of October.
Shatiloba – The festival is held in the beautiful region of Khevsureti. The festival lets you see the traditional handcrafted items. Savour the local cuisines and enjoy the Khevsur beer. You can enjoy wrestling, horse racing and try out the lip-smacking Khinkali. The festival is held in the months of July and August.
Art-Gene Festival – The festival is dedicated to the heritage and musical tradition of the country. It goes on for a week and is held at the Museum of Ethnography in Tbilisi. Buy their handicraft items and relish the beer and traditional Georgian cuisines. The festival is held in the month of July.
National holidays of Georgia
New Year’s Day
Orthodox Christmas Day
International Women’s Day
Day of National Unity
Good Friday (Eastern)
Orthodox Holy Saturday
Orthodox Easter Monday
Saint Andrew the First-Called Day
Dormition of the Mother of God
Day of Svetitskhoveli Cathedral
St. George’s Day
Traveller’s checklist when travelling to Georgia
- Clothing as per the season
- Shoes that are comfortable to walk with
- Spare batteries
- Digital camera
- Plug and voltage converter. In Georgia, you need to use European outlets, at 220 to 240 volts AC
- Insect repellant
- First aid kit
- Georgian Lari
- Passport and all necessary documents
- Credit cards or forex card
Indian embassy address/contact no. in Georgia
There is no Indian embassy in Georgia. You can use the below instead.
50/2, Dzorapi Str.
0019, Yerevan, Armenia
Tips when travelling to Georgia
- The primary transportation in Georgia is buses. However, there are taxis as well as minibuses that you can take in Georgia. The minibuses and taxies are not metred so you need to negotiate well.
- You can drink tap water when in Georgia. Georgia is a mountainous place so in case you suffer from asthma than do not forget to carry an inhaler.
- Carry hard cash with you even though most places accept cards. There are small hotels and guesthouses that do not accept card payment.
1. Which are the popular places to visit in Georgia?
2. Which are the best places to shop in Georgia?
- Tbilisi Mall
- Pekini Avenue
- Galleria Tbilisi
- Dry Bridge
- Fabrika Tbilisi
3. What is the dress code to follow in Georgia?
There is no dress code that you should strictly follow in Georgia. However, when you visit the religious places you need to cover your head, legs and shoulders. Men are also required to cover their legs.
Georgia is the perfect holiday destination for all. Whether you want to travel with your family or solo, there are lots that Georgia has to offer to all travellers. The country thrills you with its captivating beauty, wine tasting tours and the many gastronomic treats that it has to offer. So plan a Georgia tour package from India for your next holidays.