Your Complete Travel Guide To Georgia
Georgia, a popular travel destination for Indians, offers a striking contrast between Asian and European culture. Georgia is bordered by the Black Sea on the west and is tucked between Russia and Turkey. And this is what sets it apart from the other European countries. Here you get to experience a different vibe altogether. With spectacular landscapes, old towns and amazing culture and cuisine, Georgia surely makes for a great holiday destination. discover what Georgia has to offer when you book the Georgia tour package from India.
1. Visa processing and flight connectivity
2. Accommodation options in Georgia
3. The must see attractions
4. Things to do in Georgia
5. Must try delicacies in Georgia
6. Brief itinerary to Georgia
7. Festivals celebrated in Georgia
8. National holidays in Georgia
9. Traveller’s checklist when travelling to Georgia
10. Indian embassy Address
11. Tips when travelling to Georgia
12. Frequently Asked Questions
Best time to plan your holiday to Georgia
Georgia is a small country but it experiences a diverse climate. So it is important that you time your travel to Georgia properly. You should plan your Georgia tour package in the months of May, June and September when the climate is neither too hot nor too cold.
Here are the seasons in Georgia:
- Winter- December to February
- Spring – March to May
- Summer – June to August
- Autumn – September to November
Visa processing for Indians in Georgia
To travel to Georgia you need to get a short term visa. Indian passport holders can get Georgia e-visa.
Georgia has relaxed its rules for Indians who have a valid and used visa to the UK, the Schengen zone of Europe and the US. If you have a stamp of these countries then you get a visa on arrival.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Georgia/Embassy of Georgia in India is the authorized entity granting visa. The visa will be issued to you for a maximum of 30 days. It takes around 10 working days for the visa to be processed and the fee is INR 1488.
Flight connectivity to Georgia from India
There are no direct flights from India to Tbilisi, Georgia. The flights from India have a stopover at Dubai, Sharjah, Doha, Istanbul, Qatar or Bahrain. The shortest flight duration from Mumbai and Delhi to Tbilisi is approximately 11 hours.
Accommodation options in Georgia
Georgia offers varied accommodation options for all kinds of travellers. Whether you are a luxury or a budget traveller, you are sure to get something that you like.
Radisson Blu Iveria hotel – INR12000/night (5 star)
Hotel Inn Tbilisi – INR 7000/night( 4 star)
Tbilisi city heart hotel – INR 4000/night (3 star)
Hotel Borjomi Likani Health & Spa Centre – INR 8000/ night (5 star)
Crowne Plaza Borjomi– INR 8000/ night (5 star)
Milano Hotel – INR 4500/night (3star)
The must see attractions
Here are a few things that should be a part of the Georgia tour package:
- Abanotubani, which is popular for the sulphur baths
- The Holy Trinity Cathedral
- Bridge of peace
- Narikala fortress which is the most important fortress in the city
- Mtskheta is the old capital of Georgia
- Jvari Monastery to see the spectacular view of the confluence of the two rivers Kura and Aragvi
- Svetitskhoveli cathedral
- Uplistsikhe is a place to be admired for its unique rock style combinations where you get to see the rock-cut culture
- Cable car ride to see the view over the Borjomi Gorge
- Sighnaghi which is the city of love where you can walk along the streets. See the colourful balconies and the view of the Alazani valley
- Gergely Trinity Church to see the Caucasia
- Mineral water spring in Borjomi
- Fortress Rabati
- Vineyards of Kakheti
- Visit the Caucasus Mountains in Gudauri and Kazbegi
- Cave Town of Vardzia
- Visit the Green Monastery adjacent to Borjomi city
- Chule Monastery located 75 km away from Borjomi
- See the Bebris Tsikhe which is a castle on the mountaintop in northern Mtskheta
- Visit the Samtavisi which shows the magnificent Georgian medieval architecture
Things to do in Georgia
Here are some experiences that should be a part of your Georgia tour.
- Stroll through the old town of Tbilisi and view the buildings, monuments, and churches that are set against a hillside which makes them dramatic.
- Soak yourself in the thermal spring located in the middle of the Old Town of Tbilisi.
- Attend the traditional Georgian feast or the Supra.
- Taste the Georgian wine in the Kakheti region which is getting popular as the highest quality of wine in entire Europe.
- Enjoy a 19th century romantic Train ride from Bakuriani to Borjomi
- Visit the spa town of Borjomi and visit the mineral water springs
- Walk around the cave town of Vardzia.
- Enjoy gorgeous views of Tbilisi and its surroundings from Jvari Hills
- Learn to Ski or paraglide at Gudauri
- Have a traditional Georgian lunch in Kakheti
- Visit the SPA Town Borjomi
- Spend time in Joyland in Bakuriani
- Bakuriani central park
- Visit the Borjomi-Kharagauli National Park
- Stroll in the Borjomi park
Must try delicacies in Georgia
Georgia has been influenced by cuisines from the Romans, Greeks, Mongolians, Iranians, Arabs, Ottomans, Byzantines and the Russians. So the cuisine here is a different culinary experience altogether. Here are a few dishes that should not be missed.
- Khachapuri – This is a pastry that is topped with butter, eggs, and melted cheese.
- Kuchmachi – A traditional dish of Georgia made with chicken or pork heart, gizzards or liver that is mixed with pomegranate and walnut.
- Shkmeruli- Is a chicken roasted in garlic sauce is the most delectable dish in Georgia.
- Kinkhali – Georgian dumplings stuffed with meat or vegetables
Brief itinerary to Georgia
Here is one of our sample itineraries for Georgia. You may wish to customize the package as per your interest.
Day1 – Arrive at the Tbilisi International airport.
Start your Tbilisi city tour covering the important sights like Metekhi Plateau, Cable Car, Narikala Fortress, Old Town, Glass Bridge of Peace, Rustaveli. Also, take the Funicular ropeway to Mt. Mtazminda.
Day 2 – Tbilisi | Bakuriani |Borjomi
Drive to the woods of the Caucasus Mountain. Take a romantic train ride from Kukushka to the SPA Town Borjomi. Walk to the mineral water spring that the town park is famous for. Enjoy some leisure time here.
Day 3 – Borjomi |Vardsia | Rabati | Borjomi
Visit the Cave Town of Vardzia that belongs to the golden age of Georgia. Enjoy its splendid landscape. After that, you will visit the Fortress Rabati. Return to Borjomi.
Day 4 – Borjomi |Mtskheta |Jvari | Tbilisi
Drive back to the city of Tbilisi. On your way, you will visit the Old Georgian capital Mtzkheta which is a Unesco Heritage site. You will also visit the Svetitskhoveli Cathedral which is the spiritual centre of the country and the Jvari Hill which is situated above the River Valley.
Day 5 – Tbilisi | Kakheti | Tbilisi
Take a full-day tour of the major Georgian Wine Region of Kakheti. Enjoy wine tasting followed by a traditional Georgian lunch.
Day 6 – Tbilisi
Take a full-day trip to the Caucasus Mountains – Gudauri and Kazbegi.
Day 7 – Departure
Transfer to the airport for your return flight.
Festivals celebrated in Georgia
Tbilisoba – The festival celebrates the culture and rich diversity of the country. You can enjoy traditional performances, music shows, fruit and cheese displays and fireworks during this festival. The festival usually falls in the first week of October.
Shatiloba – The festival is held in the beautiful region of Khevsureti. The festival lets you see the traditional handcrafted items. Savour the local cuisines and enjoy the Khevsur beer. You can enjoy wrestling, horse racing and try out the lip-smacking Khinkali. The festival is held in the months of July and August.
Art-Gene Festival – The festival is dedicated to the heritage and musical tradition of the country. It goes on for a week and is held at the Museum of Ethnography in Tbilisi. Buy their handicraft items and relish the beer and traditional Georgian cuisines. The festival is held in the month of July.
National holidays of Georgia
New Year’s Day
Orthodox Christmas Day
International Women’s Day
Day of National Unity
Good Friday (Eastern)
Orthodox Holy Saturday
Orthodox Easter Monday
Saint Andrew the First-Called Day
Dormition of the Mother of God
Day of Svetitskhoveli Cathedral
St. George’s Day
Traveller’s checklist when travelling to Georgia
- Clothing as per the season
- Shoes that are comfortable to walk with
- Spare batteries
- Digital camera
- Plug and voltage converter. In Georgia, you need to use European outlets, at 220 to 240 volts AC
- Insect repellant
- First aid kit
- Georgian Lari
- Passport and all necessary documents
- Credit cards or forex card
Indian embassy address/contact no. in Georgia
There is no Indian embassy in Georgia. You can use the below instead.
50/2, Dzorapi Str.
0019, Yerevan, Armenia
Tips when travelling to Georgia
- The primary transportation in Georgia is buses. However, there are taxis as well as minibuses that you can take in Georgia. The minibuses and taxies are not metred so you need to negotiate well.
- You can drink tap water when in Georgia. Georgia is a mountainous place so in case you suffer from asthma than do not forget to carry an inhaler.
- Carry hard cash with you even though most places accept cards. There are small hotels and guesthouses that do not accept card payment.
1. Which are the popular places to visit in Georgia?
2. Which are the best places to shop in Georgia?
- Tbilisi Mall
- Pekini Avenue
- Galleria Tbilisi
- Dry Bridge
- Fabrika Tbilisi
3. What is the dress code to follow in Georgia?
There is no dress code that you should strictly follow in Georgia. However, when you visit the religious places you need to cover your head, legs and shoulders. Men are also required to cover their legs.
Georgia is the perfect holiday destination for all. Whether you want to travel with your family or solo, there is a lot that Georgia offers to all travellers. The country thrills you with its captivating beauty, wine tasting tours and the many gastronomic treats that it offers. So plan a Georgia tour package from India for your next holidays.
We will help you with a suitable itinerary for you and your family based on when you wish to go on a holiday, your flight and hotel preferences, choices of meals, attractions you wish to explore and more. Itineraries are also prepared to keep a note whether you want a relaxed scheduled or an action-packed.
Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at +91-33-4052-5777.